When people here of light therapy, these days they may think of the 10,000 lux bright lights that help with a seasonal affective disorder or SAD. They may also think about Red and Near Infrared light therapy or Photobiomodulation—Changing the Body with Light. But while indeed very powerful, Red and Near Infrared Light Therapy are not the only colors in play in photobiomodulation, as there are other very beneficial colors in the suns light spectrum; green light is also a power player.
It’s why at Regenus Center our ATP Beds, are Polychromatic and not Red and Near Infrared Light Therapy alone.
- POLY is short for Polychromatic, meaning all lights on. We recommend this for most users. Each wavelength seems to have its own healing signature. ATP includes Green, 2 optimized Reds and 2 optimized Near Infrareds (NIR)
- Red/NIR Red + Near Infrared. This will activate all frequencies Red 633 and 660, and NIR 810 and 850. Most PBM chambers will run 2 – 3 wavelengths of 633 and 660 red and perhaps 850 NIR.
- Green/NIR Green is a very powerful light, recognized as the brightest by the eyes. Research has shown that it affects the quality of the hemoglobin in two ways. In theory, it may prove more beneficial than Red/NIR for diabetes and neuropathy. In addition, being a strong surface energy, we find Green may be more effective for acne, herpes, and shingles.
- Skin combines 633 and 660 red with 528 green. It does not include NIR wavelengths. The theory behind skin is to create very powerful surface energies of red and green and minimize the heat that accompanies the near infrared. Think of skin as a whole body facial – but with limitations in deeper pain relief.
- Red turns on both 633 and 660 red with no green or NIR.
- Green only activates the 528 green wavelengths.
We provide five wavelengths in whole-body photobiomodulation at Regenus Centers.
- Infra Red 850 nm
- Infra Red 810 nm
- Red 630 nm
- Red 660 nm
- Green 528 nm
Photobiomodulation is a simple process in which a specific wavelength or wavelengths of light are projected onto the body through laser or whole body. We use both at Regenus Centers. In the case of green light, the light causes chemical reactions in the target area, which excite cells to increase cellular performance that in turn can regrow hair, eliminate acne, and rejuvenate skin. The key to green light therapy is the wavelength of light, as different colors (wavelengths) produce different chemical reactions within the cells.
As with all colors of light, one can achieve numerous benefits physically, mentally and emotionally. Greenlight is found at the center of the visible spectrum, bringing balance and calm to the skin and organs. The calming effect also has anti-inflammatory properties and can even help reduce hyper-pigmentation.
We often hear the expression “feeling blue” or “green with envy.” That’s because the color is known to have a profound effect on our emotions and mood.
We often use red to create a statement of strength or power. Different colors can be used to promote calm, energize, create a feeling of warmth or being cold.
Green is the color of nitrogen which is the largest component of the atmosphere; it builds muscles, bones and other tissue cells.
Greenlight is absorbed into the skin where it has a calming effect. Anti-aging therapies often include green light therapy. It helps to lighten hyper-pigmentation spots revealing a brighter complexion. The calming effect also has anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the surface of the skin. Green light therapy is used to treat dilated capillaries, sagging skin around the eyes, under eye circles, hyperpigmentation, and sunspots.
Its calming nature can be used in combination with other light therapy to further rejuvenate the skin. The green light also calms damaged skin and reduces pain associated with it.
The green light therapy can affect the appearance of skin spots and discolorations by affecting the melanocytes that reside in the bottom layer of the epidermis. They reduce the production of these cells which allows the spots and patches to fade over time. The fading of these patches results in the appearance of younger, healthier, rejuvenated skin and a more even complexion.
Some conditions green color has been shown to treat:
- Blood Clots
- Breaks up congestions and hardened cell masses
- Eliminates germs and viruses and toxic waste matter
- Hay Fever
- Heart conditions
- Hepatic conditions
- High Blood Pressure
- Increases or decreases blood pressure by affecting it through the liver
- Nervous system and diseases
- Neuralgic Headaches
Red, Green, Blue and InfraRed light waves all penetrate the body at different depths and each wavelength seems to affect slightly different processes. As a general rule, Red, for example, seems to stimulate energy and reduce inflammation in the skin. Green seems to better stimulate circulation and wound healing, but researchers are finding new benefits as they dig deeper. Blue hits the skin with the most energy but penetrates the skin the least, hence it seems to kill surface bacteria and virus. Infrared penetrates all the way down to the bones and sometimes through, so IR is the best choice for neuromuscular and deep tissue, organ repair.
Green is specifically shown to increase both volume and quality of circulation which may enhance wound healing and evacuation of hyperpigmentation. Recent studies have shown that green (to the surprise of researchers) is actually more effective than Red/IR for some conditions.
While there are over 400 studies, the main effects that researchers seem to be sharing boils down to 4 cellular processes: Read “What is Photobiomodulation PBM Therapy?” >
Low-level light therapy is FDA exempt and available as an OTC treatment for minor aches and pains. The ARRC LED makes no claims as to its effectiveness for any condition. Please read below the text on how to communicate benefits with your clients to stay within safety guidelines. These statements have not yet been reviewed by the FDA